Sunday, March 2, 2008

Accidental Painting of the Nursery

Philip guest blogging once again. I did get to caulking the nursery ceiling Friday night. And I painted the ceiling Saturday morning. Then, I cleaned up pretty much everything, including the plastic, and was preparing to just touch up some places on the wall. Note that the wall color is the same as what it was when we moved in. So, I pulled out one of the four "Bedroom" paint cans left from the previous owner that appeared to match. After I stirred it, it seemed to be a bit too light. I held the paint stick to the wall. Nope, that wasn't it. Down to the paint cabinet again. Oh, here is the paint can that says "Erin's Room", and that was their teenage girls' room. I opened it up, but it was all mildewed. Fortunately, the tag said Lowe's and had the paint mixing information. So, after a 45 min trip to Lowe's and back, I had a quart of the right paint, right? Not so fast. After painting two patches, the color was distinctly more pink....like the underlying paint color showing through a few thin places in the wall. Okay, so there is another "Bedroom" paint can that looks about the right color. Nope, that was a few shades too white. Hmm, looks like the bedroom might be the same color as the living room/hall. Nope, now there are three patches on the wall of distinctly different color. And none of the paint cans has enough to paint the whole room. So, I call Charisa and we confer. She suggests painting the offending wall a different color. The shades are so close; I'm not convinced. By now it is about 3 or 3:30 in the afternoon. Hey, there is enough paint in the "Master Bedroom" can to do the whole room, and we are not planning on using it. It's a nice straw color that goes with the farm border. Sold! After some break-neck taping, I start painting. I get to the third filling of the roller liner, and the paint can is essentially empty. Lord, I can't handle having 10 square feet of this room unpainted. Good, got through the roller stuff, now to cut in with the paint brush. And the roller liner thingy is empty. Lord, please let there be enough drips left in the can to finish. And their are, by a few milliliters or so. So, after some high-speed painting, the walls were finished by 5:30 or 6. Unfortunately, I have a permanent high from the fumes, so we decided against putting our asthmatic daughter in there... But at least it's done.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Okay, I don't have time to read this right now, just realized from your wife's email that you have a blog! How fun - one more blog to distract me from my mom-ly duties. :) (It gets a little addicting).

You do have my attention though with your title. Alas, I will have to read it later.