I started my morning sick to my stomach filled with anxiety regarding Hannah's hearing this coming Tuesday night. Sunday school opened with reading a passage from Daniel 4:
34 At the end of that time, I, Nebuchadnezzar, raised my eyes toward heaven, and my sanity was restored. Then I praised the Most High; I honored and glorified him who lives forever. His dominion is an eternal dominion; his kingdom endures from generation to generation.
35 All the peoples of the earth are regarded as nothing. He does as he pleases with the powers of heaven and the peoples of the earth. No one can hold back his hand or say to him: “What have you done?”
I am embarrassed to admit that His Sovereignty did not bring peace, but continued nausea. What if He asks us to wait longer with another delay in this first hearing? Then we started discussing God's different names and their meanings. Here are a few:
# El Shaddai (Lord God Almighty)
# El Elyon (The Most High God)
# Adonai (Lord, Master)
# Yahweh (Lord, Jehovah)
# Jehovah Nissi (The Lord My Banner)
# Jehovah-Raah (The Lord My Shepherd)
# Jehovah Rapha (The Lord That Heals)
# Jehovah Shammah (The Lord Is There)
# Jehovah Tsidkenu (The Lord Our Righteousness)
# Jehovah Mekoddishkem (The Lord Who Sanctifies You)
# El Olam (The Everlasting God)
# Elohim (God)
# Qanna (Jealous)
# Jehovah Jireh (The Lord Will Provide)
# Jehovah Shalom (The Lord Is Peace)
# Jehovah Sabaoth (The Lord of Hosts)
My friend and fellow adoptive mom asked me after class how I am doing. She shared her "adoption Psalm" and I have to agree- it spoke right to my heart. The entire Psalm 33 is powerful. But she specifically pointed out verses 20-22:
20 We wait in hope for the LORD; he is our help and our shield.
21 In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name.
22 May your unfailing love be with us, LORD, even as we put our hope in you.
And then I got to listen to Pastor Daniel teach us from Luke 11:5-13:
5 Then Jesus said to them, “Suppose you have a friend, and you go to him at midnight and say, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread; 6 a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have no food to offer him.’ 7 And suppose the one inside answers, ‘Don’t bother me. The door is already locked, and my children and I are in bed. I can’t get up and give you anything.’ 8 I tell you, even though he will not get up and give you the bread because of friendship, yet because of your shameless audacity[e] he will surely get up and give you as much as you need.
9 “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
11 “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for[f] a fish, will give him a snake instead? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”
Honestly, there is far too much from his sermon than I can share here. I encourage you to listen to the sermon online when it gets uploaded. But I will share my question I had for him:
Hi Pastor Daniel,
I am so thankful for your sermon today. But I am still trying to understand righteous boldness in regards to what I bring before God.
So many things you listed or used as examples from other passages of Scripture, God has already provided or is providing. He has already given me salvation. He has already given me the Holy Spirit. I am already blessed and continue to be blessed in HUGE ways. He has not given up on me, but continues to teach and mold me. So, to ask for something else huge with boldness....is that losing sight of what He has already given and essentially acting spoiled and ungrateful? Or am I truly still supposed to ask for big things?
Hannah's court hearing is Tuesday night while we sleep. Should I be praying that we pass this hearing, knowing that a favorable outcome is a big blessing that we do not deserve? Or is it okay to actually ask that, like a small handful of other cases from other parts of India, that the judge sign off for all three hearings during this first hearing? I worry that this request is so big that I am acting entitled to just an approval to proceed to the next hearing. It makes it hard to make this request in any kind of bold manner.
Pastor Daniel's response:
Charisa,
I meant to touch more on this, but, alas, my time was shorter than my notes.
The key to bold prayer is proper motivation. We pray for things w/ God-glorifying, big motives. So, pray for a favorable outcome that you do not deserve on Tuesday...and pray with big motives! Your goal is not just to "get her home"...your goal is to get her home, share the gospel with her and bring about her salvation! I think it's a great prayer request.
So, friends, I will be praying boldly for a very huge outcome on the 29th. And we will see if God has more lessons in store for us in the waiting, or if He says it is time to bring Hannah home.
EXPANDED FOCUS FELLOWSHIP! With Jen Walbridge
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment